California Child Custody Forms

When dealing with a Child Custody case in California there are different forms which need to be filled out. If you are involved in a child custody case we highly recommend you work with an experienced Family Law Attorney. Our Attorney, Beatrice K. Fung, has helped hundreds of clients with their child custody cases. Contact us if you are dealing with child custody issues.

Per the California State Judicial Court the legal forms are broken down into 3 categories:

  • Asking for a custody & visitation order
  • Responding to a custody & visitation order
  • Changing a custody and visitation order

Each of these has its own set of forms depending on numerous factors such as requesting child support, temporary emergency orders (ex parte), income & expense declarations, and supervised visitation orders. It is important to know which forms to fill out, and to be truthful in your answers.

In addition to the California forms each city may have its own set of forms as well. The Superior Court of Los Angeles for example has a web-site with the list of forms it may recommend in addition to those provided by the State. As with the State forms these do not need to filled out by an Attorney. However due to the number of forms and complexity involved we highly recommend anyone going through the process to Contact an Attorney.

There are also forms involved in Child Spousal Support. This is an area where an Attorney can help you figure out how much the State thinks each side should contribute when it comes to spousal support. On these forms it is important to ensure you provide the other requested information including W2’s and other proof of income.

It should be noted on the California site that if you are seeking a Temporary Emergency order you should contact an Attorney or a Family Law Facilitator for help.

If your case involves a Domestic Violence Restraining Order that may require additional work as well. When it comes to a child custody case it is important to ensure you are doing things as instructed by the Courts.